Re: web to semantic web : an automated approach

> I am a mathematician by training and would love to accept the challenge of creating a new search engine which is customizable semantic web enabled..

you could get a job at MetaWeb or Twine or Hakia. or heck even Google

that is if theyre actually hiring right now, not unhiring - YMMV

> After all, anyone who knows the origin of Google, may believe it is possible to create something new if Google no longer fits the bill.
>
> The same simple line of reasoning Page and Brin had when they built the prototype, was, "Build it and they (the guys with money) will come (to our door).'
>
> But the project will have to be OPEN SOURCE with OPEN LICENSE approach, and preferably have support from popular browsers.

ok yeah, the above mentioned companies are all proprietary hosted webservices. how about Wikia's search, or whatever? i know they bought some open source search engines. plus theres SINDICE/SWOOGLE etc. some of these are probably open

> Anyone up to the challenge?

frankly, my search needs are already met:

amazon for non-consumerelectronics products and reviews
newegg for consumerelectronics products and reviews
ebay for discontinued products
google for DNSy searches (eg engadget, dailykos, etc)
imdb for film reviews
isohunt for torrents
googlenews/topix for commercial news stories

the only needs that arent fully met ironically is the stuff on my own HD. i dont have an interest in beastly trackerd churning through the drive, and i wont run a proprietary OS, so Spotlight is out of the question..

> Milton Ponson
> GSM: +297 747 8280
> Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
> PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
> Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
> www.rainbowwarriors.net (under revision)

gay militia?

> Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
> www.projectparadigm.info (under construction)

the paradigm is shifting. perhaps remove 'www' from the URL?

> NGO-Opensource: Creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide for Project Paradigm
> www.ngo-opensource.org (proposed project)

how about ngopen? easier to type/remember

> MetaPortal: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
> www.metaportal.info (proposed project)

metaportal? welcome to 1993