Re: URIs and Unique IDs

On Nov 3, 2008, at 12:21 AM, Michael F Uschold wrote:

> Humans don't create or read UIDs, machines do. Tools and names can
> be used to have the user see whatever you want them to see.  This
> scheme gives the advantaage you want w/o minting new URIs for the
> same thing.

Well, this is probably the nub of the different choices.  In the
domain I work in, humans -- often assisted by machines, often not --
create the vast majority of both UIDs and URIs, and there are precious
few tools and systems supporting the former. (By 'supporting' I mean
creating the association between the human-centric data that keys the
UID, and always providing the right human-centric data whenever the
UID surfaces.)

In marine science at least, this is just Not Going To Happen in any
pervasive way for quite a while.  So if I want human acceptance of
semantics now, regretfully, I'm going to have to conflate.

In each of our cases, we will be spending time trying to make this
work. Along those lines, I will be thinking very hard about how to
avoid the creation of semantically duplicate URIs in our system -- I
welcome lobbying (either way) from others regarding the value of this.
(I can summarize off-list comments.)  Also I look forward to the
paper, I am sure I will learn from it.  Thanks.

John