Re: URIs and Unique IDs

A short reply to the main point.

Uschold said:

I still can't see any advantages for creating multiple copies of exactly the
same thing.
Have I missed something?

Graybeal said:

The practical advantage is the one introduced at the top -- I can consider
and implement the vocabulary as a unit, carrying all of its components along
with it.  Conceptually/abstractly I suspect this may be the right way to
think of a vocabulary.

If you de-conflate URIs and UIDs we can have our cake and eat it too.

The new ontology is a unit with a UID that is different than the original
one.
It is a bundle consisting of its component terms and definitions, and there
is an ontology-has-component link that points to the UIDs of the most recent
version. Done, perfect.  Humans don't create or read UIDs, machines do.
Tools and names can be used to have the user see whatever you want them to
see.  This scheme gives the advantaage you want w/o minting new URIs for the
same thing.

Methinks that the conflation of URIs and UIDs makes it hard or impossible to
get this advantage unless you mint new synonym URIs.  Hence to de-conflate.

I'm convinced that something like this is the right thing to do, in
principle.  Finding out how it can be done in practice will be a lot of
work.
---

BTW, this discussion has inspired me to write a paper on the topic. Probably
too late to submit to WWW conference, but I will make whatever I have
available in some manner when it is ready

Thank you for helping me clarify my ideas on this.

Michael