Re: semantic definition

On Saturday 08 March 2008 12:34, Azamat wrote:
> I was surprised that the issues of definition, its nature, kinds, meaning,
> demonstration, and formalization, has not received a separate thread and
> careful discussion both on the semantic web and ontology forums. Since it is
> hardly to find another notion so decisive for ontology and semantic web
> ...and so muddled and vague.

Thanks, Azamat!  This post really got me thinking, though in a bit of a
different direction.   I'm not sure what we need is more formal definition,
though in some areas that would certainly help, but more a more flexible type
of inference model that allows for conflicting information and partial
matches.

I can see a few people using Neural Nets to develop ontologies, but is anyone
out there using or interested in using neural net type models to generate
sort of stable-state inferences?   I'm probably not being very clear, but
with a model of weighting for similarities of initial subject and weighting
the stability of the 'inferred state' from the initial state maybe you could
approach the whole complex logic thing in a different way?   I can see that
some people are already working on fuzzy assertions, did that get accepted?

I found this

Extending OWL by fuzzy description logic
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1562993&isnumber=33171

and this

A Fuzzy Extension of SWRL
http://www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/paper/52/

At least Stamou et all seem to agree with me ;-)  : "The need to deal with
imperfect and imprecise information is likely to be common in the context of
the (Semantic) Web."  I'll see if I can find out if anything came of that...

I took some classes from Hopfield (mr neural net) way back when, and I've
always thought that neural nets are a reasonable model of how people think.
If we're trying to model human knowledge, it makes sense to model it in a way
that human brains may work...we're capable of precise logic, but I'm not sure
all our best work is done only that way.

--Golda

> [...]
> false, arbitrary or real, proved or unproved, accidental or essential,
> formal or material, nominal or real.
>

> It is stated that many axioms of the sciences, formal and theoretical, are
> nothing but definitions in disguise. That definition is formal and precise
> unlike description, explanation, interpretation. And that formally it is a
> kind of an equivalence relation where the left side (the definiendum, that
> which is to be defined) is a function of the right side (definiens, that
> which defines, determines, specifies).
>

> The most prospective method of defining seems to be a semantic real
> definition, where the definition involves the primary meaning (key
> denotation cum major connotation) of a word, a phrase, a symbol, a concept
> or an entity, so that it states the nature of the object defined and is
> convertible with its subject. The semantic definition is a relatively stable
> construct. Although, it is liable to the controlled redefinition as far as
> the knowledge of the world progresses, but this updating should not be
> something unpredicted or unforeseen, a radically new definition.
>

> There is an example of motherhood, the family relationship between an
> offspring and the female parent. Presently, a child may have mothers as
> diverse as natural mother, biological mother, adopting mother, step mother,
> surrogate mother, cloning mother, etc. When we use a standard nominal
> definition of mother as {''a woman giving birth to a child''), we are
> missing all possible kinds of motherhood. When we use a real definition (''a
> woman parenting (producing, begetting or raising) a child''), verified by
> experimentation, we can cover all the key senses of motherhood.
>

> Re ''the personal representations of reality'', being a sort of nominal
> definitions and usually having nothing to do with the nature of things, such
> definitions are not harmful as far as they used for specific personal
> purposes, but most harmful then presented as the scientific and objective
> definitions. One may define erotica as '' a creative activity to stimulate a
> reproductive activity'', capitalism as '' an economic system based on
> exploitation and profiteering'', political party as ''an organization to
> gain power by revolution'', business as ''a commercial activity to
> profiteer'', etc., thus creating an unreal world.
>
> The same reasoning applies to defining ontology, ontological classes,
> computing ontology, ontology engineering, ontology languages and tools,
> semantics, semantic concepts, semantic systems, semantic web, semantic web
> technologies, etc.
>
> Here I met a conference definition of semantic interoperability as β€˜β€™the
> common automatic interpretation of the meaning of the exchanged information,
> i.e. the ability to automatically process the information in a
> machine-understandable manner.’’ Now I wonder what sort of definition it
> might be: nominal, extensional, pragmatic, ostensive.

Golda Velez 520-440-1420  http://goldavelez.com
what I do:  Tucson Superblog http://btucson.com
  Search software  http://webglimpse.net
  Web hosting  http://iwhome.com

"Help organize the world - index your own corner of the web!"