RE: context of dc:identifier

From: Pete Johnston <Pete.Johnston@eduserv.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:45:34 +0100
To: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <rbg@talis.com>, "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com>
Cc: "Hammond, Tony" <t.hammond@nature.com>, <semantic-web@w3.org>

Reto said:

> if the datatype is the context, and given that two literals
> with different datatypes cannot be equals (not sure if this
> is true for custom datatypes) dc:identifiers is an
> owl:inverseFunctionalProperty, right?

I'm not sure that's the case. I think DCMI is pretty vague about what it means by "context" here ;-)

But generally I think

doc:x dc:identifier "12345" .

and

doc:y dc:identifier "12345" .

is not - in the global "context" - sufficient to conclude that doc:x and doc:y are the same resource, and that holds even with a typed literal as object.

That's always been my assumption, anyway.

Pete
---
Pete Johnston
Technical Researcher, Eduserv Foundation
Web: http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/people/petejohnston/
Weblog: http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/
Email: pete.johnston@eduserv.org.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1225 474323