Re: context of dc:identifier

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <rbg@talis.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 18:52:19 +0200
To: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>
CC: "Hammond, Tony" <t.hammond@nature.com>, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <rbg@talis.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Hammond, Tony wrote:
>
>> Note that Adobe's XMP spec (which profiles RDF/XML) deprecates use of
>> dc:identifier precisely because of lack of context. Instead it is
>> recommended to use xmp:Identifier (a Bag) and to qualify with
>> xmpidq:Scheme.
>
> When I asked a question related to this on the DCMI architecture list,
> I got the suggestion to use a datatype to indicate the context; for
> example:
>
> <dcterms:identifier
> rdf:datatype="http://purl.org/dc/terms/URI">info:doi/10.1038/nature06065.f1</dcterms:identifier>
>

> See:
>
> <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0705&L=dc-architecture&T=0&F=&S=&P=2483>

if the datatype is the context, and given that two literals with
different datatypes cannot be equals (not sure if this is true for
custom datatypes) dc:identifiers is an owl:inverseFunctionalProperty, right?

reto

--
Reto Bachmann-Gmür
Talis Information Limited

Book your free place now at Talis Insight 2007 www.talis.com/insight
Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com
Shared InovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd.