From: Peter F Brown
Sent: 22 October 2007 22:55
To: 'Ian B. Jacobs'; semantic-web@w3.org
Subject: RE: Proposed changes to Semantic Web logo policies

Ian:
I appreciate the hard work that has gone in to something that seems very
simple.

I'm probably late to the party on this but I have a couple of comments
regarding the "colophon" and the logo's use, rather than the logo itself
(which I think is economical, clean and simple):

- for me, the statement that "The three sides of the tri-color cube in
these logos evoke the triplet of the RDF model" doesn't stand up to even
the barest metaphorical scrutiny. If you want people to believe that
such a logo does evoke what you state, there must be a minimum
metaphorical association, and I don't see it: the (overly simplistic)
appeal to "translate" the three colours into a triple...hmmmm, I don't
buy it, and actually find it confusing. The problem obviously with many
metaphors is they break when pushed too hard, but this one seems to fall
over immediately. Also, the idea that my data might be found in a clean
and tidy 3-dimensional box, when in reality it's a fluid mess all over
the place, doesn't fit with the image: problem is: I like the image ;-)

- on a more "political" point: if one does not accept the premise that
"'Semantic Web' equals 'the W3C stack of SW technologies'", but believes
that there are some/many non-W3C standards/specifications/technologies
that nonetheless are contributing to the building of a "semantic web"
(or as Ora Lassila has often said "semantic webs"), can one nonetheless
use the logo (one without the W3C signature clearly) to denote such
non-W3C work?

I can accept that I've missed the boat as regards the first point, but I
would like clarification on the second...

Best regards,

Peter

-------------
Peter F Brown