Re: Toward Ontologies or Web Services Matching

Hi Carmine,

I would say ontology matching and matching of semantic web services is
something different, although it is probably possible to use ontology
matching to help with the latter. From what I know, the matching of web
services is usually achieved by finding a concept inclusion of the semantic
annotation of the requirement and an actual service (the actual service must
have the same concept or a more specific one). The same is applied to the
parameters of a service. This assumes the use of a single ontology shared by
service provider and service requester/discoverer. Ontology matching
"simply" tries to relate concepts of two distinct ontologies, based on their
structural (or whatever, I'm not an expert) similarities. So, ontology
matching might be useful when trying to match semantic web services of
unknown ontological annotation. Anyway, check out Evren Sirin's PhD thesis
for details on (at least one way of) web services matching (which is but one
aspect of the thesis) http://www.mindswap.org/~evren/.
Also, I don't think it can be said that the semantic web is directed towards
one or the other.

hth,
Herwig