Re: annotation properties and DL

On Oct 13, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Sarawh wrote:

> Dear Group
>
> I have a few annotation properties (both Datatype and object) in my
> OWL
> ontology. I'd like to write them up in Description Logic. Is there any
> difference from the conventions followed by the regular properties?

The difference is in the semantics and reasoning sanctioned for
annotation properties in the different levels of OWL.
In OWL-Lite and OWL-DL, for which there are existing description
logic reasoners, annotation properties are effectively ignored by the
reasoner. According to the specification, In OWL-Lite and OWL-DL,  it
is not permitted to put domain or range restrictions on annotation
properties. In OWL Full, for which there are no sound and complete
reasoners, these restrictions are not enforced. Depending on exactly
what your application requirements are, reasoners such as those
supplied by JENA, may be adequate if you use OWL Full.

> For example if I have an annotation property with range string on
> class
> myClass1, and for that I have value "Some value" , how is it
> written in DL
> notation ? Apologies if this is not the correct newsgroup to send this
> question to.

You might send your inquiry to public-owl-dev, where there the
audience is more focused on OWL issues.