Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language updated

Henry Story wrote:

> Ok. Forget the entailment bit. I don't see what harm it can do as a
> hint though.
>
> That's how CWM interprets "=" by the way.

I regard that as a bug in cwm.  Yes, it was useful.  But we should
make the syntax different.

-------------------

On 2007-10 -03, at 07:39, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

I agree with what others said: This isn't a good idea as it mixes
syntax and entailment.

My vote would be for doing either of those things:

a) allow "=" as pure syntactic sugar for owl:sameAs, or

+1

> b) allow "=" only immediately after "[", as a syntax for creating a
> named node instead of a blank node; owl:sameAs would still need to
> be written explicitly.

Friendly amendment:   Introduce a new syntactic token 'is' which can
be used syntactically where a predicate is allowed, constrained that
it can  only link a symbol to a bnode.

:Joe   :aunt [ is :Sally;   age 78 ].

:Joe   :aunt [age 78; is Sally ].

[
   fund:Name  "Associated benevolent";
    fund:symbol "ABCDE";
    ==  funds:ABCDE ;
   fund: number 1234;
  ].

The last is interesting when you are generating n3 from a script and
at some point you realize you have a URI you can attribute it to.

Or this  'is' keyword for ==, which is already in fact used:

Joe  is father of Fred.    # Conventional use reversing things
Fred father Joe.
father of fred brother father of bill.    # Use of 'of' by itself
father of fred means [is father of fred]
Joe is [aunt Sally; age 39].        # Use 'is' by itself.
Joe aunt [is Sally; age 78].	# Is in the use above.

Clearly the precedence would have to be figured out carefully.

Tim