Re: The Object Oriented Web

Manuel Vila wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would be very happy to get some feedback about the concept of "Object
> Oriented Web" as I just outlined here:
>
> http://blog.kindalab.com/2007/11/02/the-object-oriented-web/
>
> Feel free to send your comments either here or on my blog.

Hi Manuel,

Once I felt very close to what you say in your post, but than reading
the many high-quality posts in this mailing list I've changed completely
my opinion about it.

Although Andreas got a bit too deterministic in his reply he shares the
thoughts of many (not me) and it was by understanding their POV I've
changed my mind from something surrealistically simplistic as you state
in your post to something more feasible.

First, I do believe that machines can talk to each other without any
human interaction and it's not that hard, but won't also be human-like.
Second, the whole artificial intelligence movement is too focused in
simulating human behaviour that they forget that a program doesn't need
to be human to be intelligent. And last, there are some basic things
like instincts and collective unconscious that can be created new for
machines and don't have to be copied from our experience. But that's a
discussion for a completely different mailing list.

The role of RDF in this "revolution" we're all anxiously waiting on AI
can be more important than we know today and that's the feeling of many
people I talk to, but still it's a gut-feeling rather than something
concrete. The concrete about RDF is exactly what Andreas said: organize
the data so we can retrieve it more efficiently. Learning from that data
is far from our reach with today's technology and it's maybe not even
the right time to think about it as it'll put too much expectations on
the semantic technology that won't necessarily happen soon.

Unfortunately, people with money don't like to wait. We shouldn't tell
them what they can do next decade as they'll want it for next year.

My 2 pence...

cheers,
--renato