Re: Semantic web discussions

On 17 May 2007, at 09:11, Danny Ayers wrote:
>> > Perhaps I just need to set up some clever email filtering to find
>> > the goodies..?
> If you come up with a good strategy, please let us know - filtering
> the announcements to a calendar would be a bonus.

Since I didn't want to do any strict sorting with this poor heuristic
(and risk loosing mail), I ended up making a 'Smart folder' in
Mail.app (on Mac OS X) with the following rules:

Contains messages which match ALL of the following:

Message is in Mailbox:  semantic-web
Subject does not contain:  announcement
Subject does not contain:  call for
   ..    conference
   ..    workshop
   ..    CFP
   ..    ANN:
   ..    Deadline
   ..    event

I was saddened to see that I was not able to do this negative
filtering on the message body instead of Subject, and of course the
more words added to this list, the higher the risk for a legitimate
discussion to end up in the negative positives. (or was it the
positive negatives?)

I guess you could do a 'Does contain' instead and pipe it into a
Google calendar (which is somewhat good at extracting dates from raw
text) with enough hackery, but I am afraid I don't have time to
explore that idea..

Anyway, doing this I actually ended up with a view of the mailing
list that seems to be about 80% real discussions for the last months,
so it's actually quite clever and made the list much more interesting
for me.

Oh, and I would of course be +1 for the separation, or at least a
strong rule about how the subject should look, with social reactions
(hehe..) when people break the rule.

A subject prefix [ANN] or something should be quite universal and
cover call for papers, call for posters, deadlines of workshops,
invitations to summer schools, etc.  What is the culture of this on
similar lists?

--
Stian Soiland, myGrid team
School of Computer Science