Re: vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 08:25:45 +0200
To: semantic-web@w3.org

On Wednesday 02 May 2007, Garret Wilson wrote:
> Harry Halpin wrote:
> > 1) Mapping hCard/Simple VCard use-cases. This is what Norm does.
> >

> I receive vCards in my email all the time. I don't remember ever
> receiving an hCard. I had never heard about it until this discussion.

You probably won't ever see an hcard in an email, it is a microformat
for use on the web. But it has quite a lot of adoption, and after
LinkedIn adopted it, we really need a RDF representation urgently.

That's one of the reasons I feel that subsets is the way to go, since
the hcard subset is something we need urgently, whereas there are some
more difficult problems to figure out, quite evident from the rest of
your discussion, with regards to full vCard support.

Now, the reason I'm advocating an hcard subset is not that it is a fine
spec, it isn't, it is a horrible hack, but it is perceived to "do the
job right now", and we need to "do the job right now" with RDF too.

Kjetil