AW: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

John F. Sowa:

[...]
>Unifying Logic is the framework that includes the others
>as subsets:  RDF, RDF-S, Rule RIF, OWL, and SPARQL.

>Each of these subsets is tailored for a specific kind of
>inference engine and/or a specific range of uses.  What
>unifies them is the common model-theoretic semantics.
>That semantics enables all of them to interoperate on
>shared data and produce consistent results.

RIF is a format for sharing rules created in different languages (or
dialects) and - at least according to the documents they have published [1]
- not all of these dialects are required to have a model theoretic semantic.
In their own words [1]: "A dialect is a rule language with a well-defined
syntax and semantics. This semantics must be model-theoretic,
proof-theoretic, or operational in this order of preference. "

Which also is probably the reason for the "misplacement" of the unified
logic box - there is no (known) unifying logic for the union of these
formalisms.

(maybe change the layer stack and replace "RIF" by "RIF core"?)

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-core/

greetings,

valentin

--
email: zacharias@fzi.de
phone: +49-721-9654-806

FZI  Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, 76131 Deutschland, http://www.fzi.de
SdbR, Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe