From: Sandro Hawke [mailto:sandro@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 15:41
To: Hans Teijgeler
Cc: 'Linking Open Data'; SW-forum; Paap, Onno; Benjamins, Robin
Subject: Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked
Data

"Hans Teijgeler" <hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl> writes:
> To me the distinction between information and non-information
> resources is non-existing, because what you call a non-information
> resource actually contains information as well

But it doesn't contain *only* information.  Information Resources are things
which can be entirely and completely encoded as bits and then transmitted
over a network.  They can be copied, perfectly.  They can be serialized.
They are pure information.  (Another name I suggested for this class was
"Digital Artifact", but the TAG went with "Information Resource" instead.)

That, it seems to me, is a fairly crisp and useful class to define when
talking about computer systems like the Web.

    -- Sandro

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
19:02

Checked by AVG Free Edition.