From: www-international-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-international-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Chris Lilley
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 12:30 PM
To: John Cowan
Cc: Jeremy Carroll; Sandro Hawke; semantic-web@w3.org;
www-international@w3.org
Subject: Re: xml:base (was Re: IRI meets RDF meets HTTP redirect)

On Thursday, April 19, 2007, 5:14:49 PM, John wrote:

JC> Note:  I'm a member of the XML Core WG, which owns the XML Base spec,
JC> and I may speak in accordance with my best recollection of things
JC> discussed there when making statements about intentions.  However,
JC> I don't speak for the WG.

And I am equally drawing on recollections of a working lunch at the Tech Plenary, with Paul Grosso and others, where the notion that the infoset property for the base URI 'represented a URI' rather than 'contained a URI' and thus, was compatible with IRIs, was discussed.

I agree that the term IRI is a more recent coinage than many of the specifications which allowed a wider range of non-ASCII characters to 'represent URIs' after escaping.

I disagree with your assertion that simply using XML Base (without dereferencing) forces a hexification.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG