Option 1 - HTTP 303 Re: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs

On 2007-04 -07, at 11:03, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 7 Apr 2007, at 01:32, Misha Wolf wrote:
>> Given a code such as "123456", and given that we refuse to change
>> the code to, say, "_123456", the main legal choices before us
>> appear to be:
>>
>> 1. Simple concatenation using "/" as the delimiter
>>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/" & "123456" ->
>>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456"
>> [...]

>> As we would very strongly prefer to end up with a Web page per
>> Taxonomy, containing a descriptive entry per concept, where the
>> constructed URI results in the relevant entry, we are not
>> enthusiastic about option 1.
>
> I don't really want to get into yet another hash vs. slash debate,
> but I do want to point out that it is possible to get what you want
> with option 1, though it requires a tiny bit of extra work. Example
> Apache configuration:
>
>     Redirect 303 /NewsCodes/ http://www.iptc.org/docs/newscodes.html#

umm..  suppose you remove the "#". Just redirect to a document, and
don't specify ".html"

> This will transparently redirect http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/
> 123456 to http://www.iptc.org/docs/newscodes.html#123456. HTTP
> redirects are hardly rocket science.

The 303 redirect means "I can't give you a representation of http://
www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456 but read the following for more
information about it."

The forwarded document can be of any granularity you like.
It could also change over time, in that you could decide to split a
list as it grows.

So http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/01000 to http://www.iptc.org/
NewsCodes/01999 could all

redirect to http://www.iptc.org/NC/1XXX

which would yield information about each one in the range.

I would recommend that each document be available in both HTML and
RDF using content negotiation or just RDF with a style sheet that
makes it legiblle, or just HTML with GRDDL.

if you do this you can check it work with the tabulator.

Tim