Re: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs

On 7 Apr 2007, at 01:32, Misha Wolf wrote:
> Given a code such as "123456", and given that we refuse to change
> the code to, say, "_123456", the main legal choices before us
> appear to be:
>
> 1. Simple concatenation using "/" as the delimiter
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/" & "123456" ->
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456"
>
> 2. Simple concatenation using "#_" as the delimiter
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#_" & "123456" ->
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#_123456"
>
> 3. Concatenation using "#_" as the delimiter, where the "_" is
>    glue, mandated by the relevant specification
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#" & "_" & "123456" ->
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#_123456"
>
> 4. Concatenation using "#_" as the delimiter, where the "#_" is
>    glue, mandated by the relevant specification
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes" & "#_" & "123456" ->
>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#_123456"
>
> As we would very strongly prefer to end up with a Web page per
> Taxonomy, containing a descriptive entry per concept, where the
> constructed URI results in the relevant entry, we are not
> enthusiastic about option 1.

I don't really want to get into yet another hash vs. slash debate,
but I do want to point out that it is possible to get what you want
with option 1, though it requires a tiny bit of extra work. Example
Apache configuration:

     Redirect 303 /NewsCodes/ http://www.iptc.org/docs/newscodes.html#

This will transparently redirect http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456
to http://www.iptc.org/docs/newscodes.html#123456. HTTP redirects are