Re: ontology for units of measurement and/or physical quantities

Le 06-10-10 à 00:05, Joshua Tauberer a écrit :
> The big drawback is that dealing with these literals requires a
> special
> parser, but it saves creating a new bnode for each measure (i.e.
> mysphere mass [ grams 1000 ] ) and I think is a little easier to
> understand compared to having a bnode that represents the notion of
> the
> mass itself independent of its measure.

Plus all the different spelling for unit measurements.
And a huge list to implement in a parser. The implementation work
would be very difficult to sustain
	http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/units.html
There are also things like
	grain/gallon (US)
	grain/gallon (UK)
For length
	nautical mile (UK)
	nautical mile (international)
	mile
	mile (based on US survey foot)
	mile (Roman)

As Lavoisier said
	"Nothing is lost, nothing is created, all is transformed"
in this context, the cost of implementing is either
	- on authoring practices by developing a bnode
	- or implementing a parser which can handle all kind of values

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***