Re: Controlled Vocabularies Aid Translation and Content Management

Hans, Frank --

Somebody commented at a conference a while ago that one of the words with
the slipperiest semantics is --  er  --  "semantics".

One of the problems of attempting to write a document to define terms like
'resource' is, as others have noted, that different readers will interpret
the document differently -- even if it is a masterpiece of clarity.

After all, if you look up a word in a dictionary, it will be defined in
terms of other words, and so on.  You may even complete the circle and find
the original word as part of its own definition.

So, can the situation be improved?

I'd suggest Yes.  But it means going beyond the current technical notion of
"semantics".

Here are some ideas for your consideration.

(a)  extensive use of examples in English*, preferably executable ones.
These tend to provide a sort of center of gravity for interpretations by
people.

(b)  make the document executable, so that you can 'run' it over previously
unseen data.  Then, meaning = input-output behavior.

(c)  tackle the different-people-interpret-the-document-differently problem
by agreeing on  a model theoretic semantics that defines what a machine
interpreter should do.  Prove that the interpreter does what the model
theoretic semantics says it should do.  Clone copies of the interpreter.
The interpretations will always be consistent with one another.  Actually,
they will be identical.

(d) tie together executable English semantics, model theoretic semantics,
and W3C-style data semantics, in one executable interpreter-compiler.

(e) ensure that proof traces from the interpreter-compiler are mapped
computationally to step-by-step explanations in everyday, non-techie
English.  This is a good source of the examples mentioned in (a) above.

I could mention that much of this is integrated into the system that is
online at the site below, and that shared use of the system is free.  But I
won't say that, because it would just look like too big a claim to be taken
seriously (:-).

                             Cheers,    -- Adrian

*  Or the natural language of your choice.

Internet Business Logic (R)
Executable open vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free