RE: Showing the Semantic Web

Hi Danny,

You might want to know that "showing the Semantic Web" has also been the
purpose of the Semantic Web Challenge, which has been running since 2003
[1]. The reasons for setting up the challenge had been exactly the ones you
mentioned: there was (and still is) a feeling that there are too few
demonstrations of the potential of SW technology.

The Challenge is a showcase for end-user applications and thus standalone
tools, technologies etc. are not considered. Further, the applications need
to meet a minimal set of criteria [2]. This is an intentionally liberal
definition of what we call a Semantic Web application and it is not tied to
any particular technology. There have been excellent entries in the past
years; the best applications are rewarded every year with prizes contributed
by the sponsors of the Challenge.

Best,

Peter
(also as a newly appointed co-chair of the Challenge)

[1] http://challenge.semanticweb.org
[2] http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/swc/swapplication.html