RE: Showing the Semantic Web

From: Peter Mika <pmika@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:11:24 +0100
To: "'Danny Ayers'" <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Libby Miller'" <libby@asemantics.com>, "'Semantic Web'" <semantic-web@w3.org>

Hi Danny,

You might want to know that "showing the Semantic Web" has also been the
purpose of the Semantic Web Challenge, which has been running since 2003
[1]. The reasons for setting up the challenge had been exactly the ones you
mentioned: there was (and still is) a feeling that there are too few
demonstrations of the potential of SW technology.

The Challenge is a showcase for end-user applications and thus standalone
tools, technologies etc. are not considered. Further, the applications need
to meet a minimal set of criteria [2]. This is an intentionally liberal
definition of what we call a Semantic Web application and it is not tied to
any particular technology. There have been excellent entries in the past
years; the best applications are rewarded every year with prizes contributed
by the sponsors of the Challenge.

Best,

Peter
(also as a newly appointed co-chair of the Challenge)

[1] http://challenge.semanticweb.org
[2] http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/swc/swapplication.html