Re: Announcement: Firefox Navibar Extension 0.10

siebeneicher@oaklett.org wrote:
> I would also extend the current Sitemap with the functionality to
> include external resources, for example other Sitemaps or RSS files or
> other interesting sources.
>
> <SiteMapEntry>
>    <rdfs:label>Flight - Asylum - Integration</rdfs:label>
>    <page rdf:resource="http://www.osar.ch/education" />
>    <children rdf:parseType="Collection"
> rdfs:seeAlso="http://www.osar.ch/eductation-sitemap" />
> </SiteMapEntry>
>
> But i am not sure if rdfs:seeAlso is the right one for this purpose.
[sorry for the late reply]
I guess rdfs:seeAlso is the easiest thing to use, in your example it
should however be a property of the SiteMapEntry, like:

<SiteMapEntry>
   <rdfs:label>Flight - Asylum - Integration</rdfs:label>
   <page rdf:resource="http://www.osar.ch/education" />
   <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://www.osar.ch/eductation-sitemap" />
   <children rdf:parseType="Collection" >
    </children>
</SiteMapEntry>

rdfs:seeAlso says that one may find additional information about the
subject at the specified place. In some situation this may not be enough
and you may want to give more information about how the target relates
to the subject, this can be done by modeling the relation (or link)
itself as a resource, an attempt of an easy serialization would be:

<SiteMapEntry>
   <rdfs:label>Flight - Asylum - Integration</rdfs:label>
   <page rdf:resource="http://www.osar.ch/education" />
   <atom:link atom:rel="alternate" atom:type="text/html"
atom:href="http://example.org/2005/04/02/atom"/>
   <children rdf:parseType="Collection" >
    </children>
</SiteMapEntry>

My impression is, that for the NavigationMap vocabulary see-also is the
best solution, note that even with rdfs:seeAlso you can specify
additional information about the linked resource, in the following
example say that the linked resource is an atom-feed:

<SiteMapEntry>
   <rdfs:seeAlso>
     <atom:Feed rdf:about="http://www.osar.ch/eductation-sitemap" />
   </rdfs:seeAlso>
</SiteMapEntry>

(the atom prefix would point to one of the ontologies at
http://atomowl.org/ontologies)

> By the way, i plan for the next major release of Navibar, to make the
> root elements of the tree general folders like: Sitemap, RSS, Links and
> behind these root elements will follow the navigation elements of each
> own format.
not sure what you mean, and why there's a "root element".

>> Another use-case, where aggregability and graph structure become
>> important would be a tool (navibar 2 ?) to visualize an navigate
>> through a blog-discussion on multiple servers.
>
> I like the use-case because of its website overlapping nature. How
> would you visualize the discussion
Maybe allowing to set the focus on one node in the tree so that this
nodes the becomes the root of a "forward-tree", as well as a
"backward-tree" showing the resources which do link to this blog-entry?
> and what source, exactly what markup do want to use?
I think it should be feasible as in the example above, navibar would
just have to combine the triples of different sitemaps, this can be by
following rdfs:seeAlso-links (generated by the blog engine for example
on trackpad pings) and/or by just using sitemaps of previously accessed
blogs
> How concerns this to Navibar?
navibar is the browser of the web that's getting a bit more structured ....

reto