the semweb paradigm shift

(posted as comment)

Thanks. Yes. It was your comments regarding this at ISWC in Sanibel
that led to the name of my blog :)

I've struggled over the last few years trying to describe this dual
nature in layperson terms, and have a handful of phrases I return
to ... "there is no box" (when talking to object-oriented folks,
trying to get them to stop thinking in objects) or "the pick-up
sticks" nature of triples, as though each triple were a popsicle
stick, and "classes" were a toy log cabin made from them. You can
pull apart the log cabin and make a new one with the sticks and
there's no information lost... you can even make ten log cabins (at
the same time) with the same sticks. Too often, it leaves people
scratching their heads and not sure where to start.

It's similar to the paradigm shift of object-orientation. Simple
enough to describe, but it requires more hand-holding than might be
apparent at first.

I'm betting there's a decent emerging market in "semweb mentoring"
because of this, similar to the OO mentoring market. Such street-
level mentoring sessions could prove very useful to the adoption of
semweb techniques.

Timothy Falconer
www.bigfractaltangle.com
610-393-1889 (mobile)