Re: [tangle] getting the semweb exactly wrong

On Jan 3, 2006, at 17:48, Jan Algermissen wrote:

> Frank,
>
> there's a lot of value in your reply which I hope to be able to
> address tomorrow. Just a quick comment now:
>
> On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Frank Manola wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I think the trade-offs involved in using RDF in the
>> Semantic Web are reasonable ones.  But I think sometimes that the
>> differences with prior work (including work prior to the
>> relational model) are sometimes exaggerated.
>>

> I think that the most important question to be answered is this:
>
> What problems that I today have with the relational model would be
> better addressed if I used RDF+OWL?
>
> IOW, what is the killer argument for abandoning my RDBMS and using
> an RDF store instead?

One answer is: don't!  The SemWeb is about conecting the data to what
it means.
Keep the data in the place where it works and runs fast.
Find/Write ontologies about what the data is about.
Run a virtual RDF server (supporting SPARQL if a large DB) on top of
the data.
publish the connection between the database columns and the ontolgies.

Look at ways to connect the DB with others inside & outside the company.

Write new reports in terms the model at higher level of abstraction,
using the RDF apis.

Tim