Re: Newbie frustrations

From: <wollman+semantic-web@bimajority.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:53:43 -0500
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org

<<On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:25:18 +0100, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> said:

> Here's another thought about your points c) and d) and the dc:creator/
> foaf:Person issue: You say you want to add metadata to "assist a
> search application". That's pretty vague. What kind of functionality
> do you want to enable?

Well, in the general case, I want to enable whatever users of my
gallery builder (if there are any other users) want to do with their
metadata; that motivates the full generality of what I'm trying to do.

In the more specific case, I, as a user of my gallery builder, want to
answer queries of the form "show me all the information related to X"
where X is an externally-assigned identifier.  Anything else is well
beyond the scope of what I'm currently trying to do -- but given the
amount of manual work involved in annotating thousands of photos, I
want to get the structure right from the start so I don't have to
repeat all that work if I decide to add additional functionality
later.  The path of least resistance would be simply to annotate each
photo with the property "subject has number X", but this is deeply
unsatisfying: one would rather say "subject is antenna which has
number X".

-GAWollman