Re: How to express a photography with FRBR on Flickr

On 7 Sep 2005, at 04:59, Karl Dubost wrote:

> As I was doing a bit of research this night about it, I found this
> too.

Very good find! Thank you for sending this on.

> * In the [SMART model][3],
>     a digitised object is a new manifestation of the work and
>     expression embodied in the original manifestation (like
>     a microform at the Library of Congress).

This works for me, I think.

> * In the [Harvard University reference model][4],
>     a digital archival master is a new  expression of
>     a graphic work, and it has a “surrogate for” relationship
>     to the original expression (labelled: “analog”).

I can understand why they'd do this, but I think I'd disagree.

> Maybe we have to define what's a photograph indeed and see how does
> it (or not) fit in FRBR model?

That's certainly one way of doing it! Another is to attempt to model
some set of photographs straight from the FRBR (or a cast vocabulary
of such), and see if it works and how the querying goes. It depends
on how much faith one has in the correctness of the FRBR model!

-R