Re: httpRange-14 resolved

On 21/06/2005 22:14, Jan Algermissen wrote:

> - given that most URIs today point to 2xx resources, what URIs am I
> supposed to use to
>   refer to dogs and the like?

I think there will be a transition period where existing URIs are
reworked to return 303 responses. The process is quite simple for
something like the Apache server:

* rename the document returned for that URI
* add a 'redirect seeother olduri newuri' directive to .htaccess

> - Given a sufficient supply with 303 resources[2], who is issueing  and
> maintaining all
>   those URIs for dogs etc.

Not sure I follow this. Anyone can mint URIs for any type of resource
provided they're careful to configure it with the appropriate response.
The danger is that people choose to never return any response from the
URIs they mint and we get less RDF to play with as a consequence.

> Not that there is an immediate problem and I like the approach taken  a
> lot, but I kind
> of question the usability of the httpRange-14 resolution.

I think it's a pragmatic solution and actually very workable. A long
period of uncertainty is now over and I feel that we can move to
actually using this stuff.

--
http://internetalchemy.org | http://purl.org/NET/iand