RE: Propose to accept PR #449

Editorial niggle: the comma highlighted below in either form of the sentence is not necessary. The separated portion of the sentence is not an independent clause.

From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2023 6:13 PM
To: Norm Tovey-Walsh <norm@saxonica.com>
Cc: public-xslt-40@w3.org
Subject: Re: Propose to accept PR #449

EXTERNAL
> Unless someone objects in the next day or two, I propose to merge it
> without further discussion

I have these observations:

1. In   https://qt4cg.org/pr/449/xpath-functions-40/autodiff.html#map-composition-decomposition

it is said that:

" It is often useful to decompose a map into a sequence of entries, or key-value pairs  "

This is still rather ambiguous and confusing to me, and this might be the reason why I thought that "entry" is a synonym of "key-value pair".

This ambiguity can be removed by changing the text to:

" It is often useful to decompose a map either into a sequence of entries, or into a sequence of key-value pairs  "

Or even better, move the definitions at the very front of this section, before the defined concepts are referenced in the text.

2. In the table with all functions on maps for map:values the description is: "Returns a sequence containing all the values present in a map, in unpredictable order."
At the same time, for map:keys it says: "Returns a sequence containing all the keys present in a map".
Note that in the latter the phrase "in unpredictable order" is missing. This could confuse the reader that the keys are returned in some predefined order.
This can be fixed by adding the missing phrase.

3. There are 2 functions that return entries: map:entries and map:entry, but only one function for pairs:  map:pairs. We don't have a function: map:pair
Is this an accidental omission, and if not what is the reason for this decision?

Thanks,
Dimitre