Re: Updated XPath spec

While I’m aware that Cobol and Fortran are still around, and won’t die in
foreseeable future, I didn't know something like Fortran 2018 exists.
Crazy! I’m looking forward to coding XQuery in 2050 (if life permits).

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having Unicode
alternatives in the language. In contrast to cryptic syntactic sugar,
mathematical operators are easy to read. And it’s a shame that the
potential of Unicode is mostly wasted for emojis today. Of course, it’s
easy to list reasons why ASCII characters should be preferred in a
particular project. But the same applies to all sorts of language features,
such as paths vs. FLWOR expressions, the use of higher-order functions,
etc. When it comes to larger projects, you need code conventions anyway, so
it will be up to the project lead to decide how the code in a particular
code base should look like.

As I mentioned, I’d just be careful to introduce alternative operators that
look too similar to existing ASCII characters, but have a different
meaning. With a small font, it may e.g. be difficult to differentiate ⋖ and
<.

@Dimitre, I was surprised to hear that Consolas does not support
mathematical operators. I guess it’s because the font is already 13 years
old? Luckily, we have countless alternatives today.

Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 20. Dez. 2020,
22:10: