RE: Reference for SHA-1 being broken

Well as I understand it, the idea was to cite a detailed cryptographic analysis for those who wished such information. Given that it is not a normative reference, it seems reasonable to provide the reference. After all, people frequently buy books on computer subjects to increase their professional knowledge.

There are a number of problems with citing RFC 4270. First of all, it turns around and cites the Wang papers for details, so there is no improvement there. More importantly, it is seriously out of date. At the time it was written it was thought that collisions were the only problem. It has now been demonstrated that there are forging and key recovery attacks on the order of sqr(n).

Hal