RE: Hypermedia - Why

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:53:13 -0400
To: David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, "Rushforth, Peter" <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca>, "public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org" <public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org>
On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 08:56 -0700, David Lee wrote:

> As a Double-Straw man, consider Dublin Core.
> DC is a set of predefined attributes intended to supply meaning (meta
> data) to a horizontal set of documents.  That of any published work.
> I don't fully know its history but from what I do know it was
> published because the concept was in actuality being implemented by
> many different groups and they wanted to come together at a publisher
> and all mean the same thing.

Dublin Core (named after a meeting in Dublin, Ohio) was an initiative
started by Joseph Hardin (NCSA), Yuri Rubinsky (SoftQuad) and Stu Weibel
(OCLC) (I was there too but I don't know that I really contributed much)
with the goal of facilitating something like a library's card catalogue
for the Web.

It didn't work out, and you still can't reliably find out who wrote a
given Web page, or search the Web for writing by a given author. But
Dublin Core for sure does have uses.

Liam