Re: standard components edits

Alex Milowski wrote:
> On 4/16/07, *Henry S. Thompson* <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
> <mailto:ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>> wrote:
>     I think that's the wrong way to go.  I'd much prefer to handle all
>     this consistently, and say it has to be
>
>     <query><![CDATA[
>        declare namespace atom=" http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
>        <atom:feed>{/atom:feed/atom:entry}</atom:feed>
>     ]]></query>
>
>  From experience with XQuery DB's like eXist (which do something like
> the above), this is very error prone.  There
> is no reason to do this for XQuery.
>
> This is just like the RSS description element and I don't want to be
> party to creating another element out there in the universe that
> contains escaped XML! :)

But it wouldn't contain escaped XML. XQuery isn't XML. That's why we
have to escape it in the first place.

I'm with Henry on this. It makes no sense to me to not escape parts of
XQuery just because they happen to look like elements.

(In fact I find text-format inputs deeply disturbing. Rather than
crow-barring them into XML, shouldn't they be parameters/options?)

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison