> > The specification right now says that:
> >
> > <query>
> >   declare namespace atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
> >   /atom:feed/atom:entry
> > </query>
> >
> > will be treated as:
> >
> >   declare namespace atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
> >   /atom:feed/atom:entry
> >
> > I have it on my list to move that into a namespace.  Now, for XQuery,
> > the following is also legal:
> >
> > <query>
> >   declare namespace atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
> >   <atom:feed>{/atom:feed/atom:entry}</atom:feed>
> > </query>
>
> That's true of our component as documented, is what you mean, right?
> Not XQuery itself.

Yes.  XQuery has no  solution for this right now.

> and so the query element must be able to contain elements.  This isn't
> > the case for RelaxNG's compact syntax.  If we provided an input element
> > for that step, it would have xs:string content.
>
> I think that's the wrong way to go.  I'd much prefer to handle all
> this consistently, and say it has to be
>
> <query><![CDATA[
>    declare namespace atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";
>    <atom:feed>{/atom:feed/atom:entry}</atom:feed>
> ]]></query>

>From experience with XQuery DB's like eXist (which do something like the
above), this is very error prone.  There
is no reason to do this for XQuery.

This is just like the RSS description element and I don't want to be party
to creating another element out there in the universe that contains escaped
XML! :)

Then the xinclude trick will work for it as well.

But it makes the XQuery step much less useable.