Re: Proposal for subordinate source elements

Hi,

Murray Maloney wrote:
> I was hoping for a lively discussion, but any discussion at all would
> do. :-)

My thoughts aren't organised, but I thought I should get them down.

(1) I like that a nested-element syntax does away with long attribute
names like "from-step" and "from-source".

(2) I like that a nested-element syntax gives a neat way of specifying
the input to a for-each/viewport/choose without having to name a port.

(3) I like the fact that nested elements give us an easy way of building
a sequence for a port (and even that these sequences might come from
different sources).

(4) I worry that a nested-element syntax is pretty verbose, but perhaps
the only output of the previous step).

(5) I don't like Murray's names at all. I'd prefer something like
Alex) <p:document> for the "here" document.

(6) I'm ambivalent about whether we should have one kind of nested
element with three possible sets of attributes, or three different kinds
of nested elements. The latter is easier to validate usefully with DTDs
and XML Schema.

I think that comes out as a vote for a nested-element syntax but with
different names to the ones that Murray proposed.

While I'm at it, I wanted to support Richard's proposal to change the
'port' attribute on <p:input> and <p:output> to 'name'. I'd vote against
changing <p:otherwise> to <p:else> (it might line up better, but it will
confuse XSLT users).

Cheers,

Jeni
--