Re: Comments on Editor's Draft 9 January 2008

Toman_Vojtech writes:

> 1. Section 4.7.1 (options). From the schema (rng) it looks like the
> shortcut form can only be used for atomic steps and "other" compound
> steps. Why isn't it possible to use the shortcut form also on built-in
> compound steps (such as for-each or group) which can specify options in
> the "long" form?

Because there are no pre-declared options for the built-in compound
steps, so there's no way to add them to the syntax.  Option usage for
compound steps is pretty marginal in any case -- it's only allowed for
the case where it makes sense to bind an option to a value once for
use in several places within a subpipeline. . .

> 5.Section 4.1 (p:pipeline): "All p:pipeline pipelines have an implicit
> primary input port named "source' and an implicit primary output port
> named "result". Any input or output ports that the p:pipeline declares
> explicitly are in addition to those ports and may not be declared
> primary."
>
> So, is it allowed to explicitly specify the implicit input/output ports
> inside p:pipeline? If so, is it possible to redefine their properties
> (primary, sequence)? Is the following permitted?

No.

No.

> 6. Section 4.1 (p:pipeline). Pipelines can no longer specify the "name"
> attribute. How does that work together with section 3.2 (Scoping of
> Names). Is the sentence "All the step types in a pipeline must have
> unique names: it is a static error (err:XS0036) if any step type name is
> built-in and/or declared or defined more than once in the same scope."
> still valid?

Yes -- we should probably clarify that in the case of p:pipeline, this
is trivially true since there can never be two in the same scope.

Actually, to make _that_ true we need to say something about what
happens if you import a p:pipeline document which has no 'type'. . .

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk