Re: 2. Effect of normalisation step on the DOM/Infoset

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:09:48 -0500
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-xml-id@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:

> This issue already exists. Consider:
>
> <!DOCTYPE test SYSTEM "test.dtd">
> <test id=" test "/>

I think Ian's practical issue here is in web browser's with JavaScript
and the like (Ian, please correct me if I'm misreading you.) In these
cases I think there is no current issue. All such browsers, as far as
I'm aware, do not read the external DTD subset, and therefore do not
normalize this as an ID type attribute. If some web browsers start
recognizing xml:id and others don't, then a problem arises.