Universal is not universal

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:07:31 -0500
To: public-xml-id@w3.org

The abstract states,

This document defines the meaning of the attribute xml:id as a universal
spelling for ID attributes in XML documents and defines processing of
this attribute to identify IDs in the absence of validation, without
fetching external resources, and without relying on an internal subset.

To me the word "universal" implies that all ID attributes have this
spelling; i.e. it's no longer acceptable to have id in XHTML, and so
forth. I'm sure this wasn't the intent, and the sentence could be read
otherwise. Nonetheless I suggest rewriting that sentence along these lines:

This document defines the meaning of the attribute xml:id as an ID
attribute in XML documents and defines processing of this attribute to