RE: Transition Request: PER Request for XML 1.0 5th Edition

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 10:20 -0500, Grosso, Paul wrote:
> Hi Jules,

Part of the problem is that I forget each time!

Looking at the previous status sections, there's nothing clear about
the patent policy.

Pubrules says this is the right text:

 "This document is governed by the 24 January 2002 CPP as amended by the
W3C Patent Policy Transition Procedure. W3C maintains a public list of
any patent disclosures made in connection with the deliverables of the
group; that page also includes instructions for disclosing a patent. An
individual who has actual knowledge of a patent which the individual
believes contains Essential Claim(s) must disclose the information in
accordance with section 6 of the W3C Patent Policy.

However, that's a stronger statement than what we find in XML 1.0 4E,
which does not include the first sentence.

The transition procedure [1] says:

 "Proposed Edited Recommendations derived from a Recommendation not
developed under the W3C Patent Policy, will be governed by the CPP."

That suggests that the paragraph (including the first sentence) that
pubrules suggests is correct.

I just looked back at the XML 1.0 3E and 4E publication requests and
don't see any discussion of the patent policy boilerplate text.

I propose, in the interest of stability, that we use exactly the
same patent policy boilerplate as in XML 1.0 4E (even though I think
the pubrules checker is correct to suggest adding the first sentence).

Any thoughts?

 _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/05-pp-transition#switch

--
Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447