PEX5 (was Re: XML Core WG near term actions)

Paul Grosso a écrit :
> ACTION to Francois:  Provide a suggestion for PEX5--XML
> encoding detection in parse="text" (esp. wrt. *+xml
> and charsets).

The commenter says "It is not clear whether this also applies to other
Media Types such as "message" or "image", e.g. for Message/Email+XML or
image/svg+xml."

However, RFC 3023 (which establishes the +xml convention) is pretty
clear that it applies to all MIME types: "Applications may match for
types that represent XML MIME entities by comparing the subtype to the
pattern '*/*+xml'."  (Section 7. A Naming Convention for XML-Based Media
Types)

So we are on solid ground, we might just wish to add a note to make it
excruciatingly clear.

But then some media types (e.g. image/svg+xml) do not have a charset
parameter.  I don't think this is a problem: XInclude says "the encoding
is recognized as specified in XML", and then XML says, substantially, to
look inside the entity for BOM or encoding declaration "in the absence
of information provided by an external transport protocol".  It seems
clear to me that for a media type which forbids a charset parameter, we
are automatically in that situation and all is said.

--
François