Re: XInclude, schema validity-assessment, xml:base and xml:lang

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:28:12 +0100
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM> writes:

> / ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) was heard to say:
> <snip/>
> | Aha, so _here's_ a lightweight interim solution.
> |
> | Provide a schema document at http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchemaXBL.xsd
> | as follows:
> |
> | <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
> |            targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
> |
> |  <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"/>
> |
> |  <xs:redefine schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd">
> |   . . .
> |  </xs:redefine>
> | </xs:schema>
>
> Interesting. Is redefine widely supported?

Yes -- I'm not aware of any widely used processor which doesn't
support it.  That includes X** **Y.

Whether they support it wrt *anyType* in particular is a potentially
separate question.  Whether they even _should_ support it wrt
*anyType* is a matter for Schema REC language lawyers with
fine-toothed combs, high-power time-travel-enabled magnifying glasses
and infinite precision.  Hence the likely need for a WG note if we go
this route.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk