Re: relaxation on @role integration [was: Re: let's talk about it [was: Re: Can we put up ...]]

Hi, Folks-

Excellent news.  I think this is a very pragmatic solution.  Thanks,
everyone.

I'm still unsure that this can make it into SVG 1.2 Tiny, but I'm
reasonably sure it can make it into the subsequent version.  That said,
I see no conflicts in implementing it in SVG 1.1 UAs, since it shouldn't
conflict with any past or future functionality; in a way, having this
particular bit formalized in a spec can be done post-facto.

Note that content (which would otherwise be strict SVG 1.1) that
contains @role has a small chance of breaking some legacy SVG 1.1 UAs.
However, I have tested the most common ones (Batik, Opera, Firefox,
Safari, Adobe SVG Viewer), and it caused no problems; it did not break
any rendering, and it was accessible via a DOM getAttribute call in each
of them.

So, pending this actually making it into the Role spec, I personally
consider this issue resolved.  Note that I don't speak for Chris Lilley,
and he may have some other concern (though I suspect not).

I will continue to lobby for the inclusion of @role in the next SVG spec.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI