Fwd: XML entity definitions for characters

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
To: connolly@w3.org, cwilso@microsoft.com, Roland_Merrick@uk.ibm.com,
steven@w3.org, pgrosso@ptc.com, Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM
Cc: member-math@w3.org
Subject: XML entity definitions for characters
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:22:13 +0100

Dear All, (Chairs of HTML, XHTML2 and XML-core WG)

As flagged in the current MathML3 working draft, the entity definitions
for characters have been cut out of the MathML spec and enlarged to
include all the entity sets specified by ISO/IEC TR 9573-13 and ISO/IEC
8879 and HTML to attempt to generate a consistent set of definitions.

The current public draft of MathML3 does not link to the new definitions
but we hope to publish a new draft in December, and at the same time
publish a first working draft of

"XML Entity definitions for Characters"

This message is just a heads up to the group chairs to ask if their
groups (or individuals within the groups) would be interested in
reviewing this at all. In particular I'm aware that HTML5 proposals
don't use XML DTD directly but it would still be good to ensure that
definitions were consistent across all W3C specs I think

The draft is being developed in public,

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities

and in particular an "editor's copy" available here:

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/overview.html

We (the Math WG) hope to be in a position to ask for a first draft of
this document to be published in TR space within a couple of weeks.

The timing of this update is related to that of MathML3, but more
importantly to that of Unicode, with Unicode 5.1 (beta) having, for the
first time, appropriate characters for all the ISO entities. But it
might also fit well for the timescales for HTML/XHTML (and docbook for
that matter)?

David