Re: Thank you for saving my (Peter Williams') sanity...

On 1/8/12 5:59 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 14:27, Dan Brickley<danbri@danbri.org>  wrote:
>> On 8 January 2012 19:57, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, and the platform vendors are presented with two choices re. structured
>>> data in HTML:
>>>
>>> 1. Microdata -- already supported by all the browser players
> The assertion is false. So far only Opera has claimed some support of microdata.

Put differently, none of the browsers break because you have Microdata
based structured data islands in your HTML. For instance in Peter's
case, he can place a microdata snippet in a Blogspot post and not have
make any modifications, same applies to Wordpress.

>>> and being
>>> exploited by search engine players, today
> To some degree by a Google/MS duopoly, but with mixed results compared
> to their support of:
>
>>> 2. RDFa .
> and a third choice:
>
> 3. microformats (which actually has had some direct support in Firefox
> for years, since version 3, and is usable via JS in all browsers via
> their DOMs' 'class' and 'rel' attribute interfaces).
>
> Here's a post with more data/details on adoption of microformats by
> publishers, search engines etc.:
>
> http://microformats.org/2010/07/08/microformats-org-at-5-hcards-rich-snippets
>
> And I'm curious why you didn't mention microformats, given that
> there's more public web adoption of it for known popular schemas (like
> that for a person, hCard) than all others such syntaxes put together.

Real question: why didn't I mention microformats?

Answer: because I felt microdata would be the first step towards that
journey.

Please understand that I am an all inclusive position holder when it
comes to structured data and the Web. I have nothing against microformats.

Now that you mentioned it, I'll even look into WebID claims expressed
using microformats.

> On the other hand, if your priority is a simpler solution for web
> authors/publishers for enhancing HTML with user profile information,
> I'm fairly certain hCard is the simplest existing working / widely
> deployed solution to date (an even simpler solution with
> microformats-2[1] is in development, but it's not widely deployed
> yet), and I'm more than happy to help with any questions about
> microformats, hCard, etc.

As per above, I will take a look for sure. My goal is exactly as you've
outlined above. The goal is actually narrowed down to mirroring claims
across an x.509 cert. and an HTML based resource.

> Tantek
>
> [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats-2

Founder&  CEO