Re: Thank you for saving my (Peter Williams') sanity...

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 14:27, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> On 8 January 2012 19:57, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, and the platform vendors are presented with two choices re. structured
>> data in HTML:
>>
>> 1. Microdata -- already supported by all the browser players

The assertion is false. So far only Opera has claimed some support of microdata.

>> and being
>> exploited by search engine players, today

To some degree by a Google/MS duopoly, but with mixed results compared
to their support of:

>> 2. RDFa .

and a third choice:

3. microformats (which actually has had some direct support in Firefox
for years, since version 3, and is usable via JS in all browsers via
their DOMs' 'class' and 'rel' attribute interfaces).

Here's a post with more data/details on adoption of microformats by
publishers, search engines etc.:

http://microformats.org/2010/07/08/microformats-org-at-5-hcards-rich-snippets

And I'm curious why you didn't mention microformats, given that
there's more public web adoption of it for known popular schemas (like
that for a person, hCard) than all others such syntaxes put together.

On the other hand, if your priority is a simpler solution for web
authors/publishers for enhancing HTML with user profile information,
I'm fairly certain hCard is the simplest existing working / widely
deployed solution to date (an even simpler solution with
microformats-2[1] is in development, but it's not widely deployed
yet), and I'm more than happy to help with any questions about
microformats, hCard, etc.

Tantek

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats-2

--