Re: WebID-ISSUE-9 (bblfish): Develop WebID Test Suite [WebID Spec]

I just put together a "servlet" in Clerezza that accepts Toby's test suite calls: ie it returns the WebID if it can find it or "-" if it cannot.

Then to get the rdf perl libs needed by your script  I compiled half of cpan I think ;-) 
I tried it out. But your test certificates are out of date.


    openssl pkcs12 -clcerts -nokeys -in key/0002.p12  | openssl x509 -noout -text

on the first two p12 files found here

Shows them to be valid sometime during  2009 and 2010. Well they have not been updated recently. :-)

This is bound to be a problem when hard coding certificates like that. I think to get these tests to work better one needs to create certificates and WebIDs on the fly. Then one can also test the https server to see if it correctly rejects invalid certificates. Also one can then create new WebIDs much more easily, and so make it possible to test caching issues too.

So perhaps the RDF will be more useful in describing the results of the tests, as your perl script does.  That does indeed make it easier to build these test implementations, as one does not need to bother with the User Interface aspect. Someone else can take the output of such a testing service and make it look nice for their purposes. 

   What we could do perhaps is immediately put together an RDF list of tests that we want to make. We just need to describe in english what they do (though german might make it look more serious and thorough). Then we can have different implementations of these test suites setup on different servers which return results using that "ontology". It would make it possible to compare the results of the tests from different servers, and so 

 -  distribute the testing load
 -  check how things are working from  different positions around the globe
 -  test the test suites among each other

I could write a test suite that goes into Clerezza, you could do elaborate your perl script, and every perl instance or Clerezza instance could set up a test service. The we are back in the git philosophy. 

   We could also develop a better ontology for the results to be returned by a testing endpoint, instead of "-" and the webid, it could describe a number of failures that occurred, or perhaps how it got the data (from cache? did it fetch it?).  Then the tests could describe the type of failure expected.

  Not sure if this makes sense. Other ideas welcome. 


On 29 Jan 2011, at 23:16, Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:10:28 +0000
> WebID Incubator Group Issue Tracker <> wrote:
>> There were some tests out there already. Something to place in the
>> mercurial repository.
> Beginnings of a test suite is here:
> The idea is that a test harness (and there's an example test harness
> provided at
> would take the manifest as input and run each test against an endpoint
> which is what's being tested. The endpoint is a WebID-secured script
> which simply echoes out a text/plain document consisting of a single
> line: a dash if authentication is unsuccessful; the WebID URI
> otherwise.
> -- 
> Toby A Inkster
> <>
> <>

Social Web Architect

Received on Sunday, 20 February 2011 18:52:08 UTC