Re: Web Object Encryption and Signing (WOES) at IETF

On 18 Feb 2011, at 20:07, Peter Williams wrote:

> Look up winsock, in windows world.

Ah yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsock

[[
In computing, the Windows Sockets API (WSA), which was later shortened to Winsock, is a technical specification that defines how Windows network software should access network services, especiallyTCP/IP.
]]

[[
Early Microsoft operating systems, both MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows, offered limited networking capability, chiefly based on NetBIOS.
In particular, Microsoft did not offer support for the TCP/IP protocol stack at that time. A number of university groups and commercial vendors, including the PC/IP group at MIT, FTP Software, Sun Microsystems,Ungermann-Bass, and Excelan, introduced TCP/IP products for MS-DOS, often as part of a hardware/software bundle.
]]

Ah so winsocks is not a microsoft invention? Well, don't trust wikipedia. It has win in the name.

> On unix, look up socket.

Oh yes, I use those all the time.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/net/ssl/SSLSocket.html

> For ssl and sockets, perhaps read the patent.

yes, sockets are real cool, patent pending I am sure.

> It's focussed on corporate firewalls. Yes. Read the patent, and know that many browsers originally had no tcp, thus connectivity required the proxy bridge in support. Browsers pretending to talk end end (while not) is a long story.

Incredible story indeed! I recommend this patent pending thesis by some Fielding
"Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures"

   http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm

Especially the "Client-Cache-Stateless-Server"

  http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/net_arch_styles.htm#sec_3_4_4

The cache is a  acting like a trusted proxy. You're onto something.

> As wirespeeds hit 100gbps in the next 12m, I suspect the same story will roll out to the ISP (or modem dsams), so it applies to home users too. The web is a  malevolent place (if you listen to the billion dollar companies selling security and trust).

But I hear some of those entrepreneurs are very generous with their money. Robin Hood style: take from the fools, give to the poor.

> Also got to chat to the semantic/pgp/intel guys who are deploying the brick-a-pc world. All core i3 chipsets come with " trustworthiness" built in: should reputation go below x, when pc pings internet (isp?) for authority to stay unbricked,authority is witheld. Pc becomes useless (as does the stored data locked by it's Tpm chip). SMS and radio offer alternative kill switches.

Wow!

> Military assurance through and through. Be careful what you wish for.

Well I think the computer industry could do with more such security. Just imagine who that would get people to think carefully about what they download. And for those who are not careful its a business opportunity for us.