RE: On behalf of

So Ive watched Henry's ideas and argument evolved, since he first challenged folks in the openid world.

The fundamental premise was: why reinvent, when 95% of openid can be done with FOAF + semweb enforcement in logic ?

Then, 4 use cases from openid wereanalysed: identifier and identity doc management by IDPs, authorization at RPs, remote form-filling, and (my favorite) ensuring identity transference (there is no impact on your weblife when Google-the-IDP dumps you as a subscriber, because there is user-centric resilience in the design).

As openid went pro, many of those use case got sidelined, of course. We are left with

We are down now to the http://foxnews.com login button effect' tailored for mass consumerism. There, nobody knows whether yahoo and google and doing openid (or some funky openid/oauth hybrid), live is doing ws-fedp, or twitter is doing OAUTH, or if Im doign SAML2. THere is not a URL in site, and who cares! Nobody cnsumer on the planet cares about the blob format, or the signalling.

If one looks at Google open social, open connect, one can even let them present the site's popup, doing "home realm" discovery with a list of IDP selected by the target SP. A nice cloud outsource of discovery.

if one looks at Azure clouds ACS service, one sees the API-powered bridge - enabling hosted/onpremise SP service delegate to a token translator, that bridges to openid/oauth/saml/ws-fedp and insulated the local webapp from the blob-wars.

-----

Presumably, we want to take up again some of the dropped motivators / use cases (form filling, resilience, authorization, identity transferability) that got left behind in the openid world.