RE: Documenting implicit assumptions?

Be aware that modern browsers using windows libraries can be "combining" mutual auth using certs in TLS channesl with HTTP's digest webauth (which communicates passwords).

The critical term there is "combining", vs merely "tunneling" HTTP over TLS as is classical.

Combining means that the webauth digest headers are extended, to include TLS channel binding tokens - from server to client (in server only binding tokens) and client to server (for special cases).

For the first time, information and state from the "outer" ssl handshake is put within the "inner" http handshake - which takes the form of the ww-auth header pingpongs.

Digest auth is very heavily used in the realty version of an http query engine sharing some design elements with the "sparql protocol" - using http URI to communciate queries to a metadata-based search machine. We use its more advanced modes to ensure integrity of the sequence of operations, not only password logon. (Its also been extended in proprietary ways, to exploit RSA.)

Arguably, the claim that the world of HTTP knows nothing about its SSL tunnel is no longer true. Its headers can actually be leveraging its secure communication context. Various proposals for more advanced channel binding tokens could more closely tie HTTP to the state of either a ssl handshakes or a custom primitive formed from more than 1 ssl handshake.