RE: Peter's wish protocol

Lets deal with another technical issue, so we can use some pro terminology as and when necessary. (note, I speed type, merely typing out what I verbalize; dont consider what I utter here as "writing" to be referenced).

Lets consider: The public key passed in the certificate is of major importance, as it is that public key that the server will use to prove in the TLS connection that the client knows the corresponding key.

The above may or may not be true. There is a better perspective - that gets to the heart of the security requirement that is really at stake.

The SSL handshake is a sequence of messages, to be considered an atomic sequence. It provides theSEF of "peer entity authentication" (and nothing more). It only provides it when both parties (in the 2 party variety of SSL) complete their state machines having validated the other party has received the the finished message (see the SSL3 spec).

Everything else about SSL is about security associations - in short, using keys derived from the handshake to encrypt packets/frames of various types. (this is not to say, that the design of the association proeprties is easy, or secure. (Lots of threats to crypto derive from the poor association design (as folks in the IPsec world found out, in 2006).)

Per good security design for peer entity auth, the handshake authenticates the entities, and agrees the master key - meeting the requirements of peer entity authentication (which include requirements for freshness, spoofing countermeasures etc). In the case of "mutual" authentication, both client party and server party have strong names for the other. The handshake has certain properties, in which cited keys becomes used keys, about which each party can confirm receipt by the other.

Where one happens to perform an nth handshake (n>1), the resulting security association can (if so setup) add confidentiality services to the transfer of the handshake messages in the n+1th instance.

As in foaf.me design today, one gets to profile sequences of handshakes as a server: handshake n authenticates the server to the anonymous client, and handshake n+1 "upgrades" this state of security to "mutual" authentication (conducted under the cover of the association formed by handshake n). This SEQUENCE of 2 shakes is a custom security primitive, building upon the base security primitive. In foaf.me design, the second handshake builds upon the first, allowing one to infer 1 => 2. Since 2 => client cert name && 1 => IP addr, !2 => !1 => not cert => not IP.

As a result of such handshaking, a server-side socket may indicate to a socket consumer: the strongly authenticated name of the peer (and inferences about IP address of the client). In the world of CGI, this is the "ascii-armored" client cert value itself, with no supporting chain of authority used by the SEF enforcement module within the server's security model, when computing the inferences given above. Its just a nice blob, with a name inside. In many CGI libraries, the name is also parsed out and provided to the CGI user in addition.

As we know, thanks to some horrid politics a decade ago, folks still have the privilege in commodity systems at this CGI API of not only receiving the cert, but may receive a specifically self-signed cert. The ability to receive this is because the security enforcement controls for peer entity authentication can (still) be set to allow "peer trust" - i.e. optout of PKIX-like cert chaining logics, should one wish

The whole point of the opt out from PKIX-like mandatory authority chaining regime policies was to allow n interesting peer trust models to bloom, of which FOAF+SSL is one. There are several others, very, very well supported in Microsoft Windows land.

Now there is an implied statement being asserted by the socket provider to the socket user (the CGI consumer): that the ssl handshake was valid - and there was peer entity authentication, optionally at mutual level.

Assuming one for a given socket consumer set the peer-trust policy, this is all one gets. But, what a wonder it is. In the case of the RSA ciphersuites, indicates that the clientHello message was authenticated to the same entity that the cert's public key is bound. Thus, the signature that protects the ssl handshake in order to deliver the assurance of the peer entity auth service happesn to also origin-authenticate (a different SEF) the contents of the ClientHello - assuming these values are revealed at the CGI API.

Of course they are not, but dont worry! Neither was the client cert revealed in the CGI/servlet API either - still folks insisted they wanted to add value by taking control of "peer trust" - and performing some or other trust model in application code designed by the programmer - not the system vendor.

This is course is exactly what you and Bruno did, using the Apache servlet API.

So what really matters, I implore, is focus of the design here is on the properties of the handshake ( a well defined SEF), not the cert. The cert is just one side-effect output thereof - upon which one then can do exactly what you did - fashion a means of searching the graph of profiles to chain together trust points that  talked to each other "about" the subjects of certs (URIs).