RE: WebID-ISSUE-22: Key Pair Revocation / WebID reset [WebID Spec]

This is a scoping issue - as certs are (formally) out of scope of SSL, in TLS spec terms and the underlying (SSL only) patent controlled by IESG. What is normally termed "key management" or "certificate lifecycle management" is distinct from enabling the now-keyed entities to establish secure channels (https) or secure flows (webid protocol , or https' as I want to keep calling it).

Here we need to focus on the profile doc, not the cert. The cert is a way of "getting browsers to do the security primitive" called the SSL handshake. its nothing more. Arguably, the cert communciates the webid, and cert enrollment at least ties the webid URI to the public key, in a self-signed blob.  One NICE thing about having ClientHello communicate the webid is ...it DEPRIVES the wolrd of PKI the excuse to try yet again to sell client cert lifecycle management processes, forcing them to focus on the profile doc instead.

here is my current wish list for an skeleton ideal scheme (due PURELY to the discusions held here, which I find stimulating).

1. clientHello communicates webid claim

2. EE cert for client auth is ephemerally  minted and (self-)signed by browser, thereby authenticating clientHello and its webid claim

3. new "cert type" defined per the TLS spec with help from IETF, in which that ephemeral EE cert is NOT ASN.1 on the wire but an xmldsig-signed datum. Other certs in the SSL message's client cert chain (if any) retain their ASN.1 value, to bring valuable legacy interoperability to bear while ensuring ensuring we do not project legacy formats further.

4. client cert support in CGI and page javascript APIs support client certs in ASN.1 and xmldsig, to drive new generation of apps.